Tuesday, April 30, 2024

Danger Will Robinson...

 There is a wonderful little book called "The Presbyterian Handbook".  As I read that, I realize it might be straining people's credulity.  But John Calvin is looking out on the cover, sliding down a pair of shades.  There is some 'tongue in cheek' about this book, but it also condenses a lot of good information into a palatable form.  

Usually when you look at the pages of a closed book, they are all one color-usually white.  So it is with the Handbook except for a few pages just past center.  This is the part that talks about Predestination.  The pages are bordered in a gray-scale tone with the following: "Warning-It May Take Multiple Readings-And Time-To Understand This Concept".

Makes me think of the robot in "Lost in Space", Danger Will Robinson...with the flopping arms...  No, I am talking about the Lost in Space: The Original Series, from the last century...

I realized that in my 'after action' post yesterday, I allowed myself to get mixed up.  I too am from the last century...  The Warning concept for this sermon series is not Worship, but Evangelism.  And it was not until I was reviewing 1 John 5: 1-6 that I realized I had the weeks reversed.  Next Sunday is Worship.  Mother's Day will be Evangelism.  Both will be drawn from 1 John 5.

But here is the majority bit of that passage, verses 1-5, Everyone who believes that Jesus is the Christ has been born of God, and everyone who loves the parent loves the child. 2By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God and obey his commandments. 3For the love of God is this, that we obey his commandments. And his commandments are not burdensome, 4for whatever is born of God conquers the world. And this is the victory that conquers the world, our faith. 5Who is it that conquers the world but the one who believes that Jesus is the Son of God?

Let me carve out a logical progression within these verses.

1. We who believe that Jesus is the Christ have been born of God.

2. Whatever is born of God conquers the world.

3. Who is it that conquers the world but the one who believes that Jesus is the Son of God?

In the Divine Backstory of our faith, Jesus, the Son of God is the Ruler of Creation.  But here, in God, we are put alongside Jesus as conquerers, in His love.  

The reaction of "Oh My God" is not inappropriate here.  In "Legally Blond, the Musical", there is a number, "Omigod You Guys".  I would love to take the emotionally enthusiastic expression of that song and pair it to the story provided us by these verses to begin to craft a reaction to what God has done for us.  The only lyric I would probably keep from the Musical is "You're a perfect match".  

Standing on its own, a case might be made that, despite its catchiness, the song runs afoul of the Commandment on not taking the Lord's Name in vain.  

But the blessing of the song is how it catches the listener up in its enthusiasm.  That is the enthusiasm Christians could have for what God has done for us.  The song sets up a mood that would provide for meaningful, powerful, and wonderful Worship.


Peace,
Pastor Peter

No comments: