Monday, April 11, 2022

Prophesying Palm Sunday

           I was listening to the book of Ezekiel.  Why? Some may ask that.

This is how I am carrying forward my Biblical devotions at the moment, listening to the Bible.  I am alternating between an Old Testament and a New Testament book as I listen.  One axiom I have in biblical interpretation is that Jesus is found on every page.  Not literally the person, but his presence, his history, his role as our Messiah, his fulfillment of what came before.

          Two things have emerged that reflect the beginning of Holy Week from the Old Testament.  The first is from Ezekiel itself.  Ezekiel was written during the Babylonian Exile.  Ezekiel’s visions look from that Exile at the reason for, the restoration from, and the continued fortunes of the people in their time of punishment. 

          Two things I remember from Ezekiel growing up (yes, I actually remember things from Old Testament prophets from my childhood).  One was that Ezekiel has UFO’s in it.  “Ezekiel saw the wheel…” was part of the introduction of a television show in the 70’s.  The other is the Valley of Dry Bones, for the literally visceral reaction that it brings out. 

          But there are other visions, some extremely harsh, and many that powerfully reinforce the misogynist history of Biblical interpretation.  But there are other moments where it speaks of Jerusalem-looking forward to their return there from the Exile.  And it speaks of the Prince, the leader of the people who will be going up to the temple, describing his route fairly precisely. 

          For me, listening to this prophecy, it connected the return from the Exile, the return to Jerusalem in triumph to Jesus’ own entry of triumph.  Although Jesus’ “Triumphal Entry” has a far more ironic twist considering what then happens during Holy Week.

          Then, another detail, this time buried in 2 Kings, specifically 2 Kings 9.  Jehu is called to be king of Israel (the Northern Kingdom), to fulfill a prophecy that the evil of Ahab and Jezebel will be purged from the land.  Elisha came to Jehu, anointed him, prophesied his kingship “then he opened the door and ran.” (verse 10).  Jehu, an officer in the army, was surrounded by his fellow officers who wanted to know what Elisha (or, in their terms, ‘this maniac’) wanted.  Then, from verses 12 and 13, “Jehu said, “Here is what he told me: ‘This is what the Lord says: I anoint you king over Israel.’” They quickly took their cloaks and spread them under him on the bare steps…”

          The first reaction I had was that these passages are extremely obscure and not (to my knowledge) referenced in the Gospel accounts themselves.  So am I reading into the text?  Well, when I consider what I know of Israel at the time of Jesus, I know that they are feeling God’s punishment, this time under the Romans.  I know that this punishment is expressed as their disobedience to God, that obedience will bring their independence once again. 

          I also know that the Jews were an extremely literate people, focused on what we know as the Old Testament.  It is from their history that they find hope in the promises of God, as they have been fulfilled in the past, so they will be fulfilled again.  And these passages are about God’s restoration of power, the call to a new and faithful king, the call to be restored to their land and city.  Such language, not simply of hope but of hope fulfilled, would that not be the focus of a people who are looking for deliverance once again?

          There are patterns in the Bible, patterns of punishment and restoration, patterns of loss and renewed hope.  These patterns, as everything else in the Bible, find their ultimate fulfillment in Jesus.  I wasn’t looking for connections, wasn’t searching for answers, but just listening.  It has led to some amazing revelations.

Peter Hofstra

No comments: